Wednesday, June 6, 2007

My unique experiences in New Zealand

I haven't lived in NZ for a long time. Before I came to this country, I could hardly imagine what this country would be.

Soon after I arrived here, I experienced two events which left me very deep impression. The first event took place in Papatoetoe when I went to a fast cash machine to withdraw some cash. I was thinking of something else while I was operating the machine, and I left the machine after I only
got my cash flow card back. Then someone said from my back, "I think you have forgotten to take back your money, Sir!". I turned around, and saw a lady standing there, just in front of the cash machine, with her finger pointing onto the cash! Oh, my gosh! I forgot to take back my money! I was so surprised that the lady did not take the money away with her. Then later I realized that I was living in New Zealand now.

The other event took place in a midnight when I lost my way in Henderson. It was raining heavily that night, and I completely lost my way home. I was looking at my map at a petrol station when a voice came into my ears, "Can I help you, Sir?". I found a pretty Maori young lady standing about one metre away from me with a sweet smile. The basic instinct told me that I should say "no", because it was in the midnight, and anything could happen. Very soon(about 5 seconds), I found that I was sorry for what I had been worried, because I was in NZ now! Then I answered, "yes, please". The young lady asked me "where are you going?". I said, "I am going to West Harbour". She smiled, and said "Just follow me, I'll show you the way". She left till she had led me to my home!
I was really touched by the NZ people. NZ is a multi-cutural country with so many different ethnic groups. The experiences in NZ are totaly different from what I had suffered or learned in my own country. It is time for Chinese people to reconsider how to behave ourselves. Our society will have to focus on the moral education that makes our people respectable.

No comments: